Saturday, July 21, 2012

Aging Gracefully.... NOT!

Sunday, December 18, 2011
Last Father's Day, I gave my father a 10-lap drive around Dover’s “Monster Mile.”  This seemed like a fitting Father’s Day gift for a racing fan who’s done just about everything else.  I remember my father playing competitive sports until he was almost 50.  So driving a race car six months shy of his 80th birthday didn’t seem like such a big deal to me.  After all, he drives everyday.

When he turned 80 a couple weeks ago, I couldn’t help but look at him and wonder... what in the world happened to me?  Yes, this blog is all about me!  If it weren’t for a twisted sense of humor, you’d never know my father and I were related.  He looks pretty much the same as he has since I can remember sans the head full of gray hair.  He’s the same size and with the exception of a little selective memory loss, every bit as witty.

I on the other hand, have aged 50 years in the last 20.  In 2007, when people told me I was too young to retire, I’d quickly retort, “Police years are like dog years!  Twenty years on the police force is like 50 years anywhere else.”  That was a joke, so I thought.  But at 47, I feel like my  best years are about 40 years behind me.  Now an armchair athlete 20 years removed from any sport, Scrabble is about all I can handle.  There was a time when my father and I went out and people thought we were brothers.  Sadly, we’re no longer related. 

He’s up at the crack of dawn every morning ready to tackle the tasks of the day, which have somehow increased since he retired.  I start every morning with a backache and a shower.  My shave is as long as the shower since it now includes a head that used to be covered with hair.  I put inserts in my shoes to combat the heel pain, then sort through an endless number of prescribed pills and ointments to see what I need to get through the workday.  After I find my keys, I’m out the door... trying to remember what else I left behind.  But once I get to work, I’m good.  I’m fairly efficient there, thinking with clarity, never forgetting an appointment and seizing every opportunity to pounce on a co-worker with my father’s wit.  Foot-in-mouth?  I’m on it.  Wardrobe malfunction?  Got it!  Everyone (including me) is fair game if it will lighten the mood in a place that can be down right depressing to work sometimes.  My toughest decisions are where to eat lunch and what non-prescription meds I need to get at the CVS next  door... cough drops, Tylenol, Gas-X, Imodium A-D... you know the ones you don’t need until you really, really need them?  I’ve got to buy meds I’m already familiar with because by now, I’ve realized that the thing I left behind was my glasses; and I can’t read the directions on those little bottles anymore without them.

When I get home, I change, then head to the basement for some exercise.  I stare at the programable bike for a few minutes, take the clothes off the handlebars and the papers off the seat.  I bend down to turn the bike on when I feel that twinge in my back.  “Hmm... maybe tomorrow,” I think to myself.  I could lift weights.  But all that stuff that was on the bike is now on the bench.  So that’s a no go.  I spend a few minutes with the bass, another round of pill and ointments, then off to bed.  Another Monday down.  Even if it’s not Monday, it sure felt like Monday.

Everyone who meets my father says, “Wow you’ve got good genes!”  Sadly, my best jeans came from Macy’s in New York City; and like their owner, they’re all worn out and they don’t really fit anymore... anywhere.  When did I become Larry David?.... old, bald, achy, and irritated by everything.  I ain’t my father’s brother anymore.  I’m just heavy.

No comments:

Post a Comment